There is no way around the fact that moving to a new home can be stressful. When it comes down to it, not only do you have to worry about all the money you have to spend – you also have to worry about how to get all your stuff to your new space. You may think that you don’t have that much stuff, but after living in a residence for a few years, you will be pleasantly surprised. However, there are a few ways to make your move a lot easier. With a little planning, some creativity and resourcefulness – your move will be a breeze. Here are five helpful tips for making a big home move easy.
- Make a list. Before you move, you want to make a list. This will make your move so much easier. Ideally, you want to keep a list of all the items that you are bringing with you, so that you know exactly what your inventory is. When you get to your new house, or apartment, you can double check the list.
- Get rid of items you don’t need. In most cases, you will have some items that you don’t need anymore. In fact, this is another reason why keeping a list is so important – you want to make a list of all the items you are leaving behind or giving away. There are a number of other options, of course, if you want to get rid of some items. For instance, you can donate furniture, or you can have a garage sale. Shedding these unnecessary items will greatly lighten your load, which will make the move so much easier.
- Pre-box everything. It will also be important to box everything up. If you are trying to make your move as easy as possible – you want to start boxing up multiple months in advance. Even if you haven’t secured a place, but are seriously looking and are ready to put down a deposit, you want to start boxing. This process often takes the longest, so you want to get an early head start. When you are ready to move out, you will already be half-way there.
- Separate your collectables. Another imperative part of the moving process is separating your collectables from your main items. One big reason why moves become so frustrating and stressful is because you are worried about your collectables and valuable items. If you simply pack these items separately and move them yourself, it will reduce the chances of items getting broken and it will help you stay sane throughout the moving process.
- Hire a mover. On top of everything, you also want to hire a mover. For instance, a moving company like Astronaut Movers will come in and move everything for you. All you have to do is make sure things are boxed and labeled. A mover will be able to move all your items in one trip – instead of having to make three or four trips. In the end, movers will also ensure that your items stay safe – it is by far one of the best investments you can make when you move.