Storm season still hasn’t passed, but in a few weeks it will. This will be the perfect time to assess the damage to your roof and to make any necessary repairs. The truth is that your roof could have a lot of damage that will be critical to fix before the rainy early spring months. The last things you want to deal with are leaks, flooding, and water damage to your home. A single leak could cause mold to break out in your roof, your attic, and your insulation, which can not only be a messy headache – it can also be a fiscal headache. Here is how to repair storm damage to your roof.
- Assess the roof to make sure you know exactly where all the damage is. Before you repair your damaged roof, you want to be sure that you discover all the damage first. In order to find the damage, you will need to head to your roof and look for specific areas of broken shingles, wood and other problems.
- If you simply need to repair a few shingles, you will need to purchase extra shingles and some backup sealing sheets. If the issue is as light and inconsequential as a few broken shingles, you will need to purchase new shingles and you will need to purchase waterproof sealing sheets to place behind the shingles. In order to replace shingles, you simply have to crow bar the damaged shingles away, carefully lay the waterproof sheets, and then nail the new shingles into place.
- Be sure to remove all debris before you get to the actual construction and repair process. If the storm was particularly severe, you may need to remove all the debris before you can do anything. In a major windstorm or hurricane, there may be tree branches and other debris everywhere. If this is the case, you may have your work cut out for you. Removing large branches will require sawing into the branches and making them smaller and lighter to remove.
- Hire the professionals if the damage is especially bad and you don’t know what you are doing. If the damage from this storm was severe, you will most likely need to call a professional roof company, like WeRepairRoofs.com. If you aren’t sure how to completely repair and replace your roof, a professional company will come in, evaluate the issue at hand and then give you a quote. If you agree with the quote, the team will then come in and repair your roof.
- Install measures to fortify your roof against future storms – you don’t have to go through this same process again. On top of everything, you may also want to think of some ways to fortify your roof against any future issues. For instance, you may want to use t-brackets on your roof to prevent peeling in a hurricane. Also, if your region gets a lot of damage from rain, you may want to install a better runoff system. In the end, protecting your roof will help you prevent some of this damage in the future.