Removing an old fence is easy if you know exactly what you are doing. If you don’t know what you are doing, you could wind up hurting yourself. Moreover, you could wind up creating a major mess. When it comes down to it, removing a fence will require some elbow grease and you may want to ask a friend to help, but it is not the most challenging thing in the world. Moreover, you will need to know the specific type of wood used to make the fence – a thicker wood fence will be removed differently than a softer wood fence. Here is how to remove an old wooden fence from your yard.
- Make sure to dig below the fence line to loosen the fence from its place. If you have a wooden fence, you can usually dig below the fence line – below the main posts – and loosen the soil. This will make it really easy to simply pull the fence out of place.
- Make sure to use a sledgehammer to crack any cement holding down the fence posts. If you have a thick wooden fence, you may need to break cement that is holding the fence in place. In order to do this, you will need a heavy-duty sledgehammer. You could also rent a jackhammer. Some old wood fences will have very deep cement anchors, which can make the fence a little more difficult to remove. With a little work, though, you will be able to break through.
- Make sure to loosen any screws and pop out any nails. After you have the soil loosened and the cement cracked, you can then loosen screws and nails. You want to do this because it will make the entire fence easier to disassemble. If you have an older, thicker wood fence, you may want use a power drill. If you have a softer wooden fence, you may be removing small screws, nails, and other fasteners with a simple screwdriver.
- Make sure to remove the fence piece by piece – don’t demolish the fence. It is also important that you don’t take the sledgehammer and just start wailing on the fence – this could cause some major problems. One of the biggest problems is that you will create a big mess that you will only have to clean up later. The last thing you want is to spend a few hours cleaning up bits and pieces of wood. By slowly dismantling, you can just haul off the remaining pieces.
- Make sure to leave the soil marks to know where you should install the new fence. When you are done dismantling, you want to leave the soil marks – these will be your markers for when you get a new fence. You can find a new fence at a company like Ram Fence. When you install the new fence, you can use these markers to install the new posts. In the end, installing the new fence will be much easier if you know exactly where to plant the posts.