As a homeowner, you will experience some issues with your home that seem impossible to battle. One of those issues has to with dirty and stained carpets. If the carpets in your home are off color or have visible stains, you will need to bring out the big guns. Oftentimes, scrubbing the stain with market-purchased stain cleaner won’t do the trick. The same goes for your upholstery. If you have couches or chairs with big stains, you will need to get proactive about lifting the stain from the fibers. At this point, the stain has reached so far into the fibers that it will take some heavy-duty cleaning to get them out. Here are five carpet and upholstery cleaning tips for homeowners.
- Don’t scrub – always dab. When you scrub a stain, it spreads – it’s as simple as that. This is why you want to dab the stain before you bring it out of the carpet or your upholstery. This is especially the case if the stain is relatively fresh and hasn’t reached too far into the fibers. When you dab, you want to dab firmly and then use a dry rag to suck up the stain.
- Use specially formulated stain fighters. When you do use stain fighters on your carpet and upholstery, you want to make sure that it is formulated for carpets and upholstery. Some stain fighters are formulated only for specific types of upholstery, like suede. And because fabrics like suede are so delicate, you can actually cause damage if you don’t use the right cleaner. When you are purchasing stain fighters, you want to keep this in mind – you don’t want to make your carpet or upholstery look worse.
- Employ acarpet cleaning Also, you may want to employ a carpet cleaning service if you have particularly damaging stains. For instance, if you have big dark stains that are reaching deep into your carpet and dabbing them won’t work, you may want to try a service like Chem-Dry. They will use eco-friendly cleaners that will get deep inside the fabric fibers of your carpet and your upholstery. The cleaning solution and tools they use will also sanitize and protect your carpet and upholstery from future damage.
- Always vacuum before you clean. Before you do bring out the big guns on your carpet, you always want to vacuum. You may also want to move couches, chairs, and your television out of the room – just so that you can have a clean and clear area to work. If you want to get rid of all the stains you can find, you want to make sure that the area is free of dust and other debris.
- Keep pets and food out of carpeted areas. On top of everything, you also want to make sure to prevent stains from happening in the future. The best way to do this is to keep food out of carpeted areas. You may also want to keep your pets out of the carpeted rooms as well. In the end, do you really want to keep going through the same stain fighting process again and again?